Understanding Peer Support: Definition and Purpose (part 2)
The goal of peer support is to:
- Provide emotional support and understanding to individuals who share a common experience.
- Offer practical help and guidance with navigating challenges related to the shared experience.
- Foster a sense of community and belonging among individuals who share a common experience.
- Increase coping skills and resilience among individuals who share a common experience.
- Provide a safe space for individuals to express themselves without fear of judgement.
Examples of topics that may be discussed during peer support include:
- Navigating support services and resources available for the specific experience or condition.
- Coping with the emotional and practical challenges that come with the shared experience.
- Sharing strategies for managing symptoms.
- Discussing mental health and wellness.
- Providing ideas or resources to help overcome day-to-day challenges.
The next page will expand on the topic.
Last modified: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 8:10 PM